Men's Lax Advances to Skyline Title Game with 9-7 Win

Men's Lax Advances to Third Straight Skyline Title Game

UNION, N.J. (4/28/10) – Sophomore Nick Angrisani scored three goals to lead the Kean University men’s lacrosse team to a 9-7 win over Farmingdale State College in the Skyline Conference semifinals on Wednesday evening.

Angrisani (pictured right) netted two of his goals at the end of quarters in leading the second-seeded Cougars (12-5) to its third straight appearance in the Skyline Conference championship game.  The Cougars, who won the Skyline Championship in 2008, face top-seeded Montclair State University on Saturday, May 1, at 1 p.m.

For Farmingdale State (11-6), sophomore attack Erich Thomson led the Rams with three goals.

The Rams picked up the opening face-off and scored just 21 seconds into the game when Thomson found junior attack Wes Hubshmitt for the 1-0 lead.  After the Cougars tied the game on an unassisted goal by senior Mike Terry nearly six minutes later, Farmingdale State closed out the quarter with two unanswered goals to take a 3-1 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Kean quickly tied the game in the second quarter, as seniors Scott Leathem and C.J. Gannon scored 65 seconds apart to tie the game at 3-3 just 2:16 into the quarter.  Thomson would give the Rams their final lead of the game with an unassisted goal with 9:40 remaining, before the Cougars responded with four straight goals spanning the first and second halves. 

Angrisani gave the Cougars a two-goal lead at halftime with back-to-back goals, the second of which came off of a 45-yard pass from senior Anthony Bertucci with just two seconds remaining in the half.  On a dead ball, Bertucci (pictured left) was standing on the other side of midfield with the clock and delivered a pass just in front of the goal to Angrisani, who quickly turned for the diving shot from the right side.

In the second half, junior J.R. Glita extended the lead to 7-4 with an unassisted goal with less than six minutes remaining.  After the Rams pulled back to within two goals at 7-5, Angrisani again scored with just one second left on the clock, this time taking a pass from Leathem to push the lead back to three goals at 8-5. 

The Cougars extended the lead to four goals at 9-5 on an unassisted goal by Leathem just 36 seconds into the half, before the Rams scored the final two of the game.

Terry and Leathem each added two goals, while Bertucci had two assists and three groundballs.  In the net, junior Greg Egan made eight saves in the win.

Thomson added two assists for the Rams, while sophomore defender Chris Jap Ngie picked up a team-high six groundballs and sophomore goalkeeper Patrick Delventhal made 14 saves.